Friday, July 10, 2009

Hole in One Series - Part Four, Mental Game

Last week, we continued our hole in one series, by Mancil Davis, our very own King of Aces. If you missed any of the previous articles in the series, feel free to go back and revist the concepts that we covered by clicking below.

I'd be remiss if i did not acknowledge the mental aspect of the golf swing. I truly believe that my mind is as much of - if not more - responsible for my aces than a decent golf swing.

For many years, I knew that I felt "different" when hitting a tee shot on a par-3 hole. In fact I felt much different than when I was faced with a 200 yard approach on a par-4. The "difference" I refer to is that on a par-3 shot, I always felt that I was able to visualize in vivid color the ball going into the bottom of the cup.

On other shots, the color wasn't as vivid, although I still see the ball going into the hole. I don't have an explanation for this, but years ago, Sports Illustrated performed a study on my brain wave activity during my swing. The results showed that my brain waves were in fact unique on par-3 tee shots (at least I proved I had a brain). What I found interesting was that my par-3 brain waves were consistent with those produced by other golfers when they faced 30 or 40 foot putt. Putting puts a golfer in a situation where the hole itself is the definite target.

Takeaway: Visualization is a powerful tool. I implore you to use it. Combined with a mastery of the three swing factors discussed previously, I'm sure you'll find yourself with more accurate approaches.
Hit 'em Straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment